Monday, September 27, 2010

KOMIKS INTERBYU: Andrew Villar


It will be now weeks before another komikon this year, however while in the wait we will feature comic creators of today for a brief interview about them and their works, we call this one KOMIK INTERBYU. For the first issue for these series we do have creator of Ambush and HariAndrew Villar!





When did you started making komiks?
I started doing komiks since i was in elementary.. creating comics in drawing books or notebooks but professionally, ambush was first published in manila bulletin, 2006. My first indie was a contribution I made for Komikera during the same year.

 Who/What were your inspirations in making one?
I had a lot of inspirations... but to top everyone are larry alcala, roni santiago and jim lee. i loved alcala's siopaoman's humor and action combination... a big factor in my ambush comic strips. and i had this admiration with jim lee's love in illustrating the female form. Planet op di eyps was my favorite comics in Funny comics


 Do you make scribbles while in class?
I did scribble during class... or even during my meetings now. nasanay na makinig habang nagdodrowing... pampagising.


What creation is the one you are most proud of?I guess i am proud of ambush... malayo na narating niya eh. it may not have the funniest stories... but she, somehow, became known to our comics community as well as MB readers. I loved what Omeng Estanislao (of Lipad) is calling her... "the new sex symbol of comics". Storywise... i am proud of Hari: ang Hero na Emo. that project made me went back to my High School days wherein the artwork was "bara bara" and the story was about common feelings of heartbroken people (who in my life, have heard a lot of stories about it... kaya nabuo ang pagka - emo ni Hari)

 If one of your characters will be made into a live action series, who is it and who will play the role?
I have been wishing and hoping and dreaming of an AMBUSH movie! starring Heart Evangelista! Solid Heart!


Where you want to see your comics 5 years from now?
5 years from now... i want ambush to be still be running in the Manila Bulletin.... maybe an Ambush graphic novel also. again wishing... hoping.... dreaming...

Are you willing to cosplay one of your characters? Did you fell in love with one of your works?

Hahahha! julius villanueva (creator of Life in Progress... who just published his 3rd book with PSICOM) drew me cosplaying Ambush... so funny. Maybe as Ethan... ambush's dad. He's based on me eh, and tweetie is based on my wife naman... so yes too to your last question... i am in love with tweetie... ambush's mom. :-)

for more about Ambush and Hari you may visit http://www.glyphwall.com/
ambush is serialized in Manila Bulletin and also available at Comic Odyssey.

below left: Heart Evangelista and her copy of Ambush
below right: Hari, and hero na emo!






No comments:

Post a Comment