Monday, December 27, 2010

Goodbye and Thank You Very Much Mang Pablo Gomez!

I was deeply saddened with the news that Mang Pablo Gomez, the known story maker for komiks in its golden age and years after just died recently December 26. I was able to meet him in person last year when he gave his writing workshop (which is actually his last). I learned a lot from that experience though his ideas would not be appreciated by new writers. I was given a script of Mga Angel na Walang Langit (Angels without Heaven) which I still keep as an inspiration in writing. Now that I am also part of the komiks industry, I was looking forward in meeting Mang Pablo again to show my works and also seek consultation from him about stories from the past which is definitely rich in meaning and values. 

I knew that he would be at his twilight, since he is at the fragile age of 81, plus the fact that he still smokes. He is a very patient and silent person. He does not have a family of his own. And what he only have is his collection of komiks, magazines and other memorabilia that he shared to us during the workshop. He lives so simply and says that in writing he still uses the typewriter.

His works are still aired in TV like Juanita Banana, and other shows like Kampanerang Kuba, Petrang Kabayo and many more. He also shared to us about Carlo Caparas which he said was ungrateful after getting the fame and fortune. Though a newbie in the komik world, I also share the same sentiment about this.
 I also gave a sample of my writing works to Mang Pablo, which he said was good and just needed a few more polishes. I pledged to also do better and present to him soon a finished work., I don't  know but getting comments from a master whether its good or bad felt like music to my ears.  Unfortunately his came came. I'm still shocked but now writing this blog post as the final tribute and also to share my experience with the legend in the industry. Was it coincidence that Petrang Kabayo was made into a movie again and Juanita Banana a afternoon series just this year? It was a very greaceful exit for Mang Pablo and hope that his legacy lives on, and I promise to live that way.

Thank You Mang Pablo...

Your corporal body might have faded
But the soul of your works and your name
lives in eternity!

news about his death in interment from this link.
photo credits from co-workshop buddy Chris Fajardo.

No comments:

Post a Comment